Friday, September 18, 2009

Muleshit Ale

Bindle-stiffs and Gunslingers,

We've had the good fortune of discovering hop vines in the wilds of our new digs. My dad calls this place Muleshit, NY. I'm not sure why. Nevertheless, we name this beer after his name for our country home. It is a simple, no fuss, beer, brewed with the choice hops growing around a fence cutting across a field. I've seen turkey's there. I plan to hunt them.

6 lbs Gold Malt Extract

1 handful of hops at 60

1/2 handful at 10

1/2 handful at 2

American Ale Wyeast smack pack

1 comment:

Ursa said...

So, it has been 72 hours and no evidence of fermentation. I suspect that the yeast I purchased at the Muleshit home-brew store was spoiled. I'm experimenting with re-pitching ale into the wort. I happen to have a packet of the mutton's dry brewer's yeast around. The process involves boiling water, cooling it to 50 degrees, putting the yeast into the water, waiting 15 minutes, giving the solution a quick stir, and, finally, re-pitching into the wort, allowing for sufficient oxidation. Making a beer on a wing and a prayer! Who could it be?